Wednesday, November 2, 2016

A WRITER'S FAVORITE THINGS



The Insecure Writers’ Support Group posts the first Wednesday of the month. It is a place where writers can write about their insecurities without feeling threatened. If you're reading this as a writer and have any insecurities about your writing, join us. Every month we have a new question to answer. This month's question is: 


What Is Your Favorite Aspect of Being a Writer?  

Choosing just one favorite thing about the writing life is impossible. I believe the greatest satisfaction I gain from writing is when someone tells me they like my story or article or when something I write makes a difference in someone's life. Even constructive criticism is welcome feedback because it tells me that the reader has taken my work seriously enough to let me know what I could have done to make it better. 

I love being able to build an imaginary world populated by people I create. It is empowering. For example, if someone treats me badly and I can't resolve the issue in the real world I can put them in my story and make them suffer the consequences. If they've really upset me, I sometimes make them a character in my tale and kill them. 

A couple of other things about the writing life that appeals to me are working at home in my PJs and instant access to a delete key on my computer (that I don't have in my mouth). 

My insecurity this month is: I have a story I want to send to a contest. I've edited it a dozen times, but I'm still afraid it isn't good enough to hit "send." 


Do you ever use your writing to vent by creating and then "killing off" a character?




10 comments:

  1. Send it. At least to a beta reader. Who will tell you it's fine and to send it already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely send it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're, right, Lori. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I hit send. I guess the worst that can happen is that I hear nothing back.

      Delete
  3. Send it. Everybody gets rejections, so even if this does happen, it does not mean your story wasn't good. And who knows? You might be surprised.

    In my last submission, I killed off an obnoxious father and his snotty teenaged daughter. These characters were nothing like my real husband and daughter, but how can you live with someone and not get on each other's nerves from time to time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tamara. I sent it. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that kills off her characters.

      Delete
  4. Hit "send!!!" Just do it. Close your eyes and click. I find myself editing myself when I'm speaking. I end up looking like I'm rambling, but I'll say things and realize I should have said them differently and try to hit that mental "backspace" to correct it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did it. It's the second time I've sent something to this publisher. I never heard back from my first submission. Maybe I'll have better luck this time. I try to edit myself when I'm speaking too. I usually end up sounding like an idiot.

      Delete
  5. It can be hard to hit send, but usually once you do- you feel better. Scared still, but it is out there and you feel like you tried. Wishing you the best of luck, and I know it is stressful! :) ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you've already hit the "send" button. If you have, congratulations!
    It's a scary feeling...I know...but hitting that button means you're one step further on your journey!
    Onwards and upwards!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete